Last night, I walked into a wonderful surprise when I got home. As soon as I reached the front porch, this incredible aroma met me at the front door and an instant smile appeared on my face. There were meatballs in the oven, homemade potatoes on the stove that my beau was putting the last finishing touches on, and a glass of Pinot on the table. (I thought in my head, Is this real life?)
I was told that I was on salad duty, but after seeing the whole display, I gratefully accepted. Needless to say, this was an amazing home-cooked meal. We had never tried this recipe before and to our surprise, this was one that has been added to the family dinner repertoire. Not only were the flavors of these heavenly bite-sized meatballs unlike anything we’ve ever tasted before, but they were also very quick and easy; minimum prep time and only 20 minutes of baking were involved. We made substitutions to the original recipe and it turned out more delicious than expected. Score!
Naturally, I had to share.
Cornbread Pork Sausage Meatballs
What you need:
- One pound of pork sausage
- Four cups of shredded cheese (Use your favorite! We used a mozzarella / Colby Jack blend)
- One package of cornbread mix
- Half of a red onion, diced
- A pinch of garlic salt, onion powder and pepper
What you do:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Combine ingredients and mix thoroughly. This is the part where Matt puts “the love” into the food.
- Shape mixture into small spheres.
- On a non-stick cookie sheet, arrange meatballs about a half-inch to an inch apart.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
We tried them with barbeque sauce, steak sauce, honey mustard and a “special sauce.” Personally, I just like them plain. The sweetness of the cornbread complements the meat and onion well. It creates a light coating that holds in all of the flavor.
Not only are they delicious, but they are festive for the upcoming holiday. They could make great appetizers, or toss them in your favorite sauce and serve as a side dish. (Wink, wink!)